We hide: we say and "we" tell ourselves that "we take it easy", that "there is no rush", that "we know that it takes time." But, most of the women, when we decide to leave the liberated zone and look for a baby we cannot stop being aware: ovulation calculators, menstruation dates, tips scattered on the Internet, experiences of friends and more. Difficult to be distracted. If it happened to you or it happens to you, some extra tips.
One day you decide: let's move forward. They solved it with your partner or you came alone to the certainty that it is time to be a mother. And you move on: you remove the IUD, put down the pills and / or keep the box of condoms for a long time. To find a baby! Anxiety and desire make you think that, after obsessively taking care of yourself, as soon as you lift the barriers, the test will be positive and a nine-month adventure will begin that, at the end of the road, will put a child in your arms. Get to work and the action begins. But ... Weeks go by, months go by and nothing. You do not go through some delay that enables an illusion of a few hours and, of course, you get distressed. The fantasy of sterility prevails and the couple is complicated, pain through. Well then: stop. Our body is a bit more complicated and things are not so simple.
* Prior check-ups : in many countries they speak of preconception studies. In general, these are clinical, gynecological and infectious tests to determine if your body is ready to procreate and carry out a pregnancy. Sometimes solving something before you start can avoid risks and complications later.
* Folic acid : it is important to start taking folic acid a few months before looking for a pregnancy. It is recommended to take 1mg per day until the test is positive. Then the doctor will probably raise the dose to 5mg.
* Don't smoke : Several studies show that women who smoke have a harder time getting pregnant. Lower the number of cigarettes and, if you can, stop smoking. It is the ideal!
* It's not that easy: Human fertility is highly ineffective. In the best conditions, only 25% of couples will achieve a pregnancy in one month by having frequent intercourse without contraception. And, as you age (moving toward 35/40), the odds are even lower.
* The chances improve if you are attentive to your ovulation date: The ovulation cycle lasts 6 days and it is in this period when the woman is at her most fertile stage. The best days are before and after ovulation, which is when one of the ovaries releases a mature egg (oocyte). This process occurs around day 14 of the menstrual cycle, if the woman menstruates every 28 days. The oocyte survives for about 24 hours and the sperm for a few more days, therefore the woman can become pregnant from 3 or 4 days before ovulation to two days later.
To figure out your next fertile week, just Google the words " ovulation calculator " and a host of options will pop up. There, enter the first day of your last period, how long your period lasts, and the average length of your cycles. If you are regular, everything will be easier. If you are not, consult your gynecologist and ask about home ovulation tests: they work for many.
You can also estimate your ovulation date with a simple calculation: you have to subtract 14 days from your cycle and you will have the approximate day of your ovulation. In turn, there are other signs that you can attend to to know that you are ovulating: we have a thicker flow, the basal temperature increases and you may feel pain in the ovaries, like stitches, on both sides or on one.
* Every day? Many doctors recommend not having intercourse every day - much less several times a day - to search for a baby. The more often the man's semen secretion, the less the amount of sperm produced. The frequency they recommend is every other day. Ideally, have sex at least three times that week.
* Positions : yes and no: there are sexual positions that will increase your chances of achieving pregnancy and others that play against. There are two you must rule out: the woman should not be standing or on top of the man: due to the effect of gravity, the sperm will exit the vagina more quickly.
Which ones are suitable? Some studies argue that the "prayer position" (the man behind or on top) increases the chances because it makes penetration deeper and the semen closer to the cervix. Same with the lateral position.
* Orgasm : many investigations affirm that orgasm in women is fundamental, because vaginal and uterine contractions bring semen closer to the cervix and favor the entry of sperm.
* Neither bath nor bidet : after having sex, it is advisable that you stay in bed for at least half an hour. Some recommend upside down. Ideally, you should put a pillow under your pelvis or something that lifts it up a bit: this increases the number of sperm that come into contact with the cervix.
Obsessing over planning sex is counterproductive. Apart from calculations and formulas, specialists advise having sex when the couple wants it, regardless of ovulation. The reason is simple: the tension generated by being aware of the best days and whether or not the period comes to you does not favor pregnancy. If we are not obsessed, the pregnancy is most likely to come when the couple least expects it.
* Don't get anxious and take a test every two days. Wait for the delay and yes, it is not this time, it will be the next. If six months go by, make a consultation. Beyond a certain delay being normal, it is better to get rid of your doubts and not expose yourself or expose your partner to bad times and unnecessary anguish. If there is something to do, better do it quickly.
* If you are pregnant, do not forget that the first trimester is key. Don't take medications, don't smoke, and don't overindulge with alcohol. It is beautiful to start caring for and loving your child from the day you started looking for him.