Mother’s day is a very special date. The Mother’s Day should be one of the dates that people expect to entertain and honor being who brought to the world. In our country, this important holiday is celebrated on every second Sunday in May, as well as in other parts of the world such as the United States ( USA – USA ), Germany, Venezuela, Ecuador, Puerto Rico, Colombia, Italy and Japan, among others.
In other nations such as Spain, to cite one example, Mother’s Day is celebrated on the first Sunday in May, while in Argentina and Belarus, on the third Sunday in October. How curious, right?
But since when is this special date celebrated ? Although in modern times it is often thought that Mother’s Day is nothing more than a marketing strategy that companies use to sell their products or offer services, the origins of the holiday go back to ancient Greece, where honors were paid to Rhea, the mother of the gods Poseidon, Hades and Zeus.
In Christian countries this celebration served to venerate the Virgin Mary, the mother of Jesus Christ. On December 8, the date that Catholics celebrate the Feast of the Immaculate Conception, Mother’s Day is celebrated in Panama .
As far as the United States is concerned, in 1873, women from 18 cities held a special meeting for Mother’s Day. On May 12, 1907, the activist Ana Jarvis ) wanted to commemorate the death of her mother and set a date to remember not only hers but all the mothers of the country.
As his campaign spread throughout the country, President Woodrow Wilson, in 1914, declared that Mother’s Day be celebrated every second Sunday in May, a tradition adopted by other countries that remains to this day as one of the most important dates of the annual calendar.
In the case of Mexico , Mother’s Day is celebrated annually every May 10 .
What days is Mother’s Day celebrated in the countries of the world?
- First Sunday in May: Spain, Lithuania, Portugal, South Africa, Romania, Hungary.
- Second Sunday in May: Peru, Germany, Australia, Austria, Belgium, Brazil, Chile, China, Canada, Colombia (except Cúcuta), Croatia, Cuba, Denmark, Ecuador, United States, Estonia, Philippines, Finland, Greece, Holland, Honduras, Italy, Japan, Latvia, Puerto Rico, Ukraine, Uruguay, Switzerland, Czech Republic, New Zealand and Venezuela.
- May 8: South Korea (Father’s Day)
- May 10: Mexico , El Salvador, United Arab Emirates, India, Guatemala, Qatar, Singapore, Oman, Malaysia.
- May 14: Samoa
- May 15: Paraguay
- May 26: Poland
- May 27: Bolivia
- May 30: Nicaragua
- Last Sunday in May: France, Sweden, Dominican Republic, Cúcuta (Colombian city)
- Third Sunday in October: Argentina, Belarus
- December 8: Panama (Immaculate Conception Day)
How is Mother’s Day celebrated in your country ? Do not forget to leave us your comments in this note. Also, be sure to share it with all your friends and contacts on social networks so that they are aware of this data.