Indian Railways has started giving insurance upto Rs.10,00,000 (Rs.10 Lacs) with your railway ticket. This is a useful facility from Indian Railways. Just imagine, you buy your regular railway ticket and surprisingly, you get Rs.10 Lacs insurance with railway ticket.
We’ll discuss all the details of this feature and ofcourse, all terms and conditions of this policy in simple words below.
- First of all, this is a travel insurance policy.
- A person booking a train ticket through the IRCTC website will be able opt for travel insurance cover for a premium of 92 paise only from 31 August.
- The cover will not be applicable for children upto 5 years of age and foreign citizens. It will be for passengers holding tickets such as confirmed, RAC and wait-listed ones.
- The scheme offers travellers/nominees/legal heirs a compensation of Rs10 lakh in the event of death or total disability, Rs7.5 lakh for partial disability, upto Rs2 lakh for hospitalisation expenses and Rs10,000 for transportation of mortal remains from the place of a train accident or where an untoward incident, including terrorist attack, dacoity, rioting, shootout or arson, occurs.
- No refund of the premium will be given in case of cancellation of the ticket.
- The scheme is being implemented by IRCTC in partnership with ICICI Lombard General Insurance, Royal Sundaram General Insurance and Shriram General Insurance.
- The Insurance Company is responsible for policy issuance and claims settlement.
- All the correspondence by policy holder should be made directly with the Insurance Company on their toll free no. , official E Mail IDs or offices as mentioned in policy document. No correspondence to be made with IRCTC in this regard.
- The premium is Re. 92 paise per passenger inclusive of all taxes.
Online Screen Shot of IRCTC Website
Below is the screen shot from official railways website – IRCTC, wherein at the time of ticket booking, you get option of travel insurance:
Sum Assured (S.A.)
The Travel Insurance Scheme shall be kept uniform for all classes:
|Death||Permanent total Disability||Permanent partial Disability||Hospitalization expenses for injury||Transportation of mortal remains|
|Rs. 10,00,000||Rs.10,00,000||Rs. 7,50,000||Rs.2,00,000||Rs. 10,000|
Table of Benefits
Benefit 1 – In case of Death
|Death If during the Trip, the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury which directly and independently of all other causes results in death within 12 months from the date of accident or untoward incident.||100% of the Sum Insured stated in the Schedule applicable to such Insured is payable|
Benefit 2 – In case of Permanent total disability of nature specified below
|Permanent total disability If during the Trip, the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury which directly and independently of all other causes results in permanent total disability within 12 months from the date of accident or untoward incident. For the purpose of this Insurance, Permanent total disability shall mean either of the following and compensation will be paid as per table below||100% of the Sum Insured stated in the Schedule applicable to such Insured is payable|
|The Disablement||Compensation expressed as a percentage
of Total Sum Insured
|1. Permanent Total Disablement||100%|
|2. Permanent and incurable insanity||100%|
|3. Permanent Total Loss of two Limbs||100%|
|4. Permanent Total Loss of Sight in both eyes||100%|
|5. Permanent Total Loss of Sight in one eye and one limb||100%|
|6. Permanent Total Loss of Speech||100%|
|7. Complete removal of the lower jaw||100%|
|8. Permanent Total Loss of Mastication||100%|
|9. Permanent Total Loss of the central nervous system or the thorax and all abdominal organs resulting in the complete inability to engage in any job and the inability to carry out Daily
Activities essential to life without full time assistance
|10. Permanent total disablement not otherwise provided for under above Items inclusive up to a maximum of Sum Insured||100%|
Benefit 3 –In case of Permanent partial disability of nature specified below
|Permanent partial disability
If during the Trip, the Insured sustains accidental bodily injury which directly and independently of all other causes results in permanent partial disability within 12 months from the date of accident or untoward incident. For the purpose of this Insurance, Permanent partial disability shall mean either of the following and compensation will be paid as per table below :
75% of the Sum Insured stated in the
Schedule, applicable to such Insured is payable
|Compensation expressed as a percentage of Total Sum Insured as specified against permanent partial disability
|1. Permanent Total Loss of Hearing in both ears||100%|
2. Permanent Total Loss of one Limb
3. Permanent Total Loss of Sight of one eye
4. Permanent Total Loss of Hearing in one ear
5. Permanent Total Loss of the lens in one eye
6. Permanent Total Loss of use of four fingers and thumb of either hand
7. Permanent Total Loss of use of four fingers of either hand
8. Permanent Total Loss of use of one thumb of either hand
9. Permanent Total Loss of one finger of either hand
10. Permanent Total Loss of use of toes
11. Established non union of fractured leg or kneecap
12. Shortening of leg by atleast 5 cms.
13. Any loss is of the elbow, hip or knee
14. Any other Permanent Partial not included in above items
|% as assessed by Doctor.|
Benefit-4 Hospitalisation Expenses for Injury
The Insurance Company shall indemnify the Insured for the expenses, upto Rs.2 lakh, incurred by the Insured for Hospitalization and medical treatment, taken on account of any Injury sustained by the Insured whilst on a Trip during the Period of Insurance.
The Medical Expenses incurred for Hospitalization Treatment:
a. Room rent, boarding expenses,(Room Rent to be capped at 2% of the sum insured and ICU/CCU to be capped at 4% of the sum insured)
c. Intensive care unit,
d. Medical Practitioner,
e. Anesthesia, blood, oxygen, operation theatre charges, surgical Appliances,
f. Medicines, drugs and consumables,
g. Diagnostic procedures,
h. The cost of prosthetic and other devices or equipment if implanted internally during a Surgical Procedure.
i. No OPD charges to be covered. However, procedures followed under day care shall also be covered.
j. A Hospital means any institution established for inpatient Care and Day Care treatment for illness and/or injuries and which has been registered as a Hospital with the local authorities
k. In case happening of an accident, initial treatment be taken from nearest hospital of accident site and upon written referral of this hospital, treatment be taken from any specialized hospital
Benefit -5 Transportation of mortal remains:
If the Insured dies as specified in the Table of Benefits described hereunder, solely and directly due to train accident and untoward incidents as defined under section 123 read with sections 124 and 124A of the Railways Act, 1989, occurring during the Trip, then the Insurance Company will reimburse Rs.10,000/- as the cost of either transporting his mortal remains to his usual place of residence or to a cremation or burial ground. No documentary evidence is required to be produced.
In case of Death Claim:
Submit the duly filled in claim form signed by nominee/legal heir along with the NEFT mandate details and cancelled cheque with the following documents:
• Report of the Railway Authority confirming the accident of the train or untoward incident
• Report of the Railway Authority carrying the details of the passengers declared dead.
• Duly Completed Personal Accident Claim Form signed by Nominee / Legal Heir along with the NEFT mandate details & cancelled cheque
• Photo identity proof of nominee
• For Death Claims, claim will be settled only to nominee declared at the time of buying insurance through IRCTC portal
• In absence of nominee, claim will be paid to Legal Heir only – as per Legal Heir / Succession Certificate
In case of Disablement Claim:
- Report of the Railway Authority confirming the accident of the train or untoward incident
- Report of attending doctor confirming the extent of disability.
- Medical bills corresponding to doctor’s prescription.
- Duly Completed Personal Accident Claim Form signed by insured / Nominee
- Attested copy of disability certificate from Civil Surgeon of that Hospital in which the treatment has undergone stating percentage of disability.
- Attested copy of FIR.
- All X-Ray / Investigation reports and films supporting to disablement.
- Claim form with NEFT details & cancelled cheque of the beneficiary
- Photograph before & after disability
In case of Hospitalization Expenses for Injury
- Report of the Railway Authority confirming the accident of the train or untoward incident
- Discharge summary
- Original Hospital Bills and medical bills corresponding to doctor’s prescription
- Advance and final receipts (All receipts shall be numbered, signed and stamped)
- Prescriptions for medicines
- Diagnostic Test Reports, X Ray, Scan, ECG and others including doctor’s advice demanding such tests)
Cash memos/bills for medicines purchased from outside
The claim documents should be sent to the Claims department of the nearest Office of the Insurance Company through which this insurance is effected. List of the address of the office of the Insurance Company to be obtained from the website of the Insurance Company.
You may download the official PDF file for Indian Railways Travel Insurance from here.